Marvel Universe

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Marvel Universe

Postby jjreason » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:48 pm

Yep, they have reprinted a ton in that format. Those books are durable, easy to read, and done with the best reproduction available.... but the flipside they are god damned expensive.

You can see how many different series they've collected in this format & changes they've made to the books along the way here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Masterworks

Golden Age: 9 different titles (30 volumes total)

Atlas Age (1950s to pre-Silver 60s): 10 titles (28 volumes)

Silver/Bronze: 40 titles (243 volumes). Some interesting choices here other than the aforementioned Howard... who would have guessed they'd Masterwork Dazzler? Champions? Deathlok? Rawhide Kid? All have gotten at least one volume done. I guess in some cases (Champions for sure) it collected the entire series.
"Something inside me....."

Diabolical
John Kalodner: John Kalodner

Postby Diabolical » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 pm

I miss the Essential books.
Huge. Cheap. B&W. Cheap.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Postby jjreason » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:36 pm

Yeah those were nice - totally meant for you to NOT worry about keeping them in mint condition, just reading & enjoying. They found a nice middle ground with Epics - you get the full color treatment & 2 Masterworks worth of issues in one nice fat softcover. If you wait until they are on sale you can get some good deals as well. I try to keep my costs below the $35 CDN mark for each of those, so you guys should be able to scoop them for $25 I would think.
"Something inside me....."

Return to “comic books”