What have you watched lately?

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: What have you watched lately?

Postby Ran » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:27 pm

Hudson Hawk - Its funny how so many Bruce Willis movies have the same feel to them.

Diabolical
John Kalodner: John Kalodner

Postby Diabolical » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:06 pm

Ran wrote:
Diabolical wrote:I love the Evening With Kevin Smith dvds.
Hey was so much more entertaining before he started smoking weed.

He did tell a story about watching Dora the Explorer with his daughter while high. Something I didn't know was that his wife posed for Playboy. In the London show, he tells some crazy stories with his mother in the audience. There is no way I could say things half as bad as he said to my parents.
I posted the pic in the Lumberyard (nude celebrities), in case you haven't seen it.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.

Ran

Postby Ran » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Had all of the movie channels for free over the weekend.

1917 - That movie was impressive.

Magnificent Seven (Yul Brenner) - Still classic.

Started watching Zombieland 2, but it was late and forgot to record the rest of it. Saw most of MIB 1,2,& 3 over the weekend as well. They are decent background noise while I do other stuff.

jjreason

Postby jjreason » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:37 am

Ran wrote:
1917 - That movie was impressive.

Not wrong.
"Something inside me....."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:34 am

The Professor and the Madman - A “dramatic” story of the creation of the original Oxford English Dictionary which took like 70 years to finish. Mel Gibson and Sean Penn. It’s fucking weird seeing Jeff Spicoli so OLD. The movie was okay.

January Man. A murder mystery from 1990 with Kevin Kline. It was pretty dull. But you get to see Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio’s boobies. And it’s one of Alan Rickman’s earliest roles where he isn’t the bad guy.

Quigley Down Under. Tom Selleck in Australia. The movie was kinda all over the place tone-wise. I was expecting a light hearted action western but It got pretty fucking dark when they started throwing people off cliffs in droves.

Soul. The new Pixar movie debuted on Disney+ yesterday. I like that everything you saw in the trailer was like the first 15-20 minutes of the movie, and then it takes a twist. I’m annoyed they couldn’t find a cameo for Ratzenberger. Way to blow the streak Pixar.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Postby jjreason » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:43 am

The Darkest Hour. Gary Oldman won the Oscar for portraying Winston Churchill. It was a fairly good movie.

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Postby anarky » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:59 am

The Karate Kid: It never clicked that Daniel moved to Reseda at some point in September, got the living shit beat out of him on or around Halloween, spent at least a week waxing on and off, and then was a fucking karate god on December 19. Holy shit.

It's still a great film, but there's so much that strains credibility or didn't age well. Like, dude, you fucking caused a goddamned head-on collision, then got jumped and nearly murdered by five guys who were in turn beat fucking senseless by a grown man, and at no point were the cops involved?

Also Elizabeth Shue might've been magically babe-licious, but Alli was a fucking bitch. "I forgive you for being poor and therefore making even my parents mock you."

I haven't seen Cobra Kai yet, but I'm hoping Johnny got therapy or that motherfucker should be on death row by now. The guy had some very serious issues.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!

jjreason

Postby jjreason » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:57 am

I've enjoyed episodes I've seen because it takes the piss out of the original movies & is written at a more adult level. Still cheesy obviously, but with more intent to be or something.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:29 am

jjreason wrote:I've enjoyed episodes I've seen because it takes the piss out of the original movies & is written at a more adult level. Still cheesy obviously, but with more intent to be or something.

I binged the first five or six episodes awhile back and enjoyed them. But I got sidetracked by life and haven’t gone back to rewatch the rest of the series.
It definitely has a CW-esque high school drama kinda vibe to it, but it walks that wire of deliberately being cheesy and nostalgic very well.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Postby anarky » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:29 pm

Karate Kid 2: An entire movie that takes for granted that Americans don't know anything about Okinawa. Sato is cartoony, and Chozen makes him look like an Oscar-winning character study.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!

anarky

Postby anarky » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:26 am

And Karate Kid 3. This is not a good movie. It is a bad movie. It is a fun movie, but it's very bad.

I could list ridiculous things about this film for longer than it takes to watch. Like why do they let a famous adult from another city (if not state) compete in the under eighteen tournament? Why is Daniel allowed to compete? He's graduated. Never mind he apparently turned sixteen earlier this year. What's with the half-baked love story that vanishes halfway through? Why does the most stereotypical 80s bad guy devote his life to crushing a kid he never met? And why is there so much sexual tension between Tony Silver and Daniel?

Not a good movie. Not at all.

Bad enough that we're not even trying #4, which I've never seen (aside for this random five-minute section that seemed to be on HBO every time I flipped by it in the 90s). I might watch it myself soon just to do it (it's in the DVD set I bought ages ago), but no one else wants to sit through another bad Karate Kid movie so soon.

Assuming there's probably no major allusions to it since it was bomb, we're finally ready to start Cobra Kai now.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:45 am

I wouldn’t bet against Hillary Swank showing up on Cobra Kai at some point. She’d do it just for the lolz.

Diabolical
John Kalodner: John Kalodner

Postby Diabolical » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:35 pm

Wonder Woman 84 - On par with most of the DC movies - somewhere between mediocre and bad.
Much like the first half of the first movie, WW84 is just not that interesting. Gal Gadot is good (and crazy hot), Kristin Wiig is surprisingly decent, and Pedro Pascal is wildly overacting (and not in a good way).

Some people have been having an issue with the implied sex scene between Diana and Steve, claiming she had nonconsentional sex (or raped, if your a SJW) with the guy that Steve inhabited.
I have to admit, I'd be pissed if I were that guy. Not because I was "raped," but because I'd have banged Gal Gadot and I would have no memory of it.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 am

They missed an opportunity for an Easter Egg by not giving that guy a name, any name, like Ted Kord or Kyle Rayner or something.

I’m annoyed the guy playing POTUS looked or acted NOTHING like Ronald Reagan.

The mid-credits stinger was a lovely touch. Given how they set it up in the movie, I was expecting the character to show up, but it never occurred to me that they would cast that actor in the role.

vynsane
master of the universe

Postby vynsane » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:44 pm

Diabolical wrote:Wonder Woman 84 - On par with most of the DC movies - somewhere between mediocre and bad.
Much like the first half of the first movie, WW84 is just not that interesting. Gal Gadot is good (and crazy hot), Kristin Wiig is surprisingly decent, and Pedro Pascal is wildly overacting (and not in a good way).

i thought it was enjoyable. after watching "Man of Steel" and "Batman v. Superman" for the first time, since they're on HBO MAX, it was far better than most of the recent DC movies, IMO. better than "The Dark Knight Rises", too, honestly.

Diabolical wrote:nonconsentional sex (or raped, if your a SJW)

dude, seriously? what could possibly be the distinction you're attempting to make here? here's the Merriam-Webster definition of rape:

unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against a person's will or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent because of mental illness, mental deficiency, intoxication, unconsciousness, or deception

non-consensual sex == rape. pretty cut-and-dry.
Life is short. STUNT IT!

Return to “movies”