JJ Abrams new Star Trek movie...

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

Re: JJ Abrams new Star Trek movie...

Postby vynsane » Mon May 20, 2013 8:49 am

that's too bad. honestly, the trailers haven't really caught my attention. it doesn't even look like star trek, there's nary a recognizable starfleet uniform to be seen. i will probably try to see it in the theater but it wasn't an opening weekend must like IM3 was.
Life is short. STUNT IT!

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby RoIIo Tomassi » Mon May 20, 2013 9:09 am

I'm trying to avoid spoilers/reviews until I see it tomorrow.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"

Diabolical
John Kalodner: John Kalodner

Postby Diabolical » Mon May 20, 2013 11:39 am

I'm hearing a lot of what I heard with Iron Man 2. People pissing and moaning about it when it probably isn't anywhere near as bad as they say. I was supposed to go on Friday but got sidetracked. Hopefully I'll make it by Wednesday.

As for spoilers, I'm assuming one is going to be as big of a surprise as Marion Cotillard's role in The Dark Knight Rises. Ya know, not a surprise at all.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Postby anarky » Mon May 20, 2013 11:55 am

I'm not saying it will be bad. Just that I'm only hearing bad from the people whose opinions I trust. Most of whom loved the first Abrams Trek movie.

Most of the criticism seems to center around a large part of it apparently being a shot-by-shot recreation of The Wrath of Khan, only with Kirk and Spock reversed. Which, I guess, would be equivalent to a Star Wars reboot where someone goes back and kills Qui-Gon before he can discover Anakin, and Anakin never becomes a Jedi but somehow becomes Vader through other means, and somehow it leads almost instantly into a remake of the final duel in Empire Strikes Back, but with Han being Vader's son.

Also, lots of complaints about excessive lens flares. And not jokes about them. A few people have told me there are unnecessary lens flares in every scene or close to it, which seems bad since you'd think they'd address this after it being a minor complaint in the first reboot.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Postby Ran » Mon May 20, 2013 5:57 pm

I have no intention of seeing it, but I've heard people talking about it on the radio. Overall they thought it was great, but there were a few things they complained about. They didn't give spoilers, but here is what they said:

There were some big plot holes. They didn't use technology consistently. For example, they could have teleported somewhere, but instead they took a ship because it would was more dramatic. They didn't even try to make excuses on why they couldn't use the teleporter like the tv series did.
That said, it supposedly looks great in IMAX 3D.

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby RoIIo Tomassi » Tue May 21, 2013 4:09 pm

I was thoroughly entertained. I think it did a fair job of subverting expectations concerning a certain villain. I think the complaining stems from people looking at the entire Trek Mythos as a whole and not thinking about the constraints of storytelling within one film. And I can only assume whoever said its a shot-for-shot remake of Wrath of Khan haven't watched this film, or more likely never watched Wrath of Khan. Apart from one plot point, which one could argue was done more as symbolic reflection of the OTHER 1st Trek sequel, there's hardly anything in common between the two films. And that scene, even knowing its eventual resolution in the film(which is obviously telegraphed in advance) was still satisfactory on an emotional level between the two characters.

And the 'no beaming' thing was explained in both instances it wasn't used. The first was them not wanting to announce to everybody they were Starfleet. And the second prolonged lack of use was that the ship had been shot all to shit and nothing was working. People need to actually pay attention while watching a film and not just be looking for things to bitch about to gain anti-pop culture cred with their buddies.

This film is just as good as the first one. I enjoyed them both. I liked it better than IM3.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Hahahahahaha!!!

Wow. I know a majority of you are Trek haters or Trek-I-really-don't-give-a-shitters,
But coming to you as someone who actually enjoys Trek I can honestly say...

What the fuck was that?? That was the least Star Trek-y trailer I've ever seen.
That looked like a straight to video SyFy movie trailer. You can't just make a movie and then slap the word Star Trek on it as an afterthought. There are RULES.

Yikes. I thought the TMNT2 trailer was better looking than this thing.

"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"

anarky

Postby anarky » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:58 pm

I love the use of the traditional Star Trek theme music.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:09 pm

That was a callback to the first Abrams Trek movie when adolescent Kirk steal his stepdad's vintage convertible and takes it for a joyride. Sabotage is playing on the radio.

Most people thought its inclusion in the first film was an Easter egg referring to the classic Shatner meltdown on correctly pronouncing the word sabotage. But Abrams said it wasn't.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

vynsane
master of the universe

Postby vynsane » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:17 pm

me: "what? how is this..."

computer screen: "from the director of Fast & Furious."

me: "oh, gotcha."
Life is short. STUNT IT!

Diabolical
John Kalodner: John Kalodner

Postby Diabolical » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:25 am

I'm in. These Star Trek flicks are fun and entertaining - you know, the polar opposite of old Star Trek.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.

anarky

Postby anarky » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 am

Tom Foolery wrote:That was a callback to the first Abrams Trek movie when adolescent Kirk steal his stepdad's vintage convertible and takes it for a joyride. Sabotage is playing on the radio.

I know, but it still seems really damn odd. At least Zefram Cochrane listening to Steppenwolf had some purpose to it.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:06 pm

So, I saw Star Trek Beyond today. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And I have to say, the art design and production design of the Yorktown Space Station was fucking amazeballs.

Return to “movies”