Just Say The Word: SHAZAM!

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Just Say The Word: SHAZAM!

Postby Tom Foolery » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:27 pm

If this wasn't a Warner Bros/DC property and therefore destined for self sabotage by the Studio that hates its Super Hero IPs, I might actually be excited about Dwayne Johnson playing Capt. Marvel AKA Shazam. I don't necessarily think The Rock is a great actor, but he seems genuinely nice and his "acting" skills would perfectly fit the cornball that's inherent in a Shazam movie.

The trick is hitting that cornball sweet spot. If they go for intentionally goofy, it'll suck. If they go for DC new typical stance of Gritty Realism in Comics films that Nolan and Snyder love, it'll suck. But if they aim for serious and get the right shitty director (Brett Ratner!!) he just might unintentionally deliver an exactly campy film even if it wasn't his intention. I realize that's naive optimism on my part.

But when giving an interview teasing his next project, Johnson said "Just say the word" hinting at a possible Shazam film, for that brief moment I got excited about a Shazam film with him in it. That's such a great Tag line for the film.

So right now, before they've even started, WB has a Shazam movie I'd go see. Now they just have to hire the wrong screenwriter, wrong director, let Johns, Didio, Harras and Nelson interfere, miscast the rest of the film, come up with awful CG, and make poor PR choices to make it suck like the rest of their products.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"

vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Just Say The Word: SHAZAM!

Postby vynsane » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 pm

actually i could see dwayne as Black Adam.
Life is short. STUNT IT!

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:36 am

So far it's a toss up as to who he's playing; Marvel or Adam.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:11 pm

How sad/hilarious is it that WB cast Johnson in a role five years ago that they still haven’t gotten around to filming.

Diabolical
John Kalodner: John Kalodner

Postby Diabolical » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:02 pm

As Marvel supposedly did with Vin Diesel in a non-Groot role.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Postby jjreason » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:38 pm

Is Shazam! not a thing right now? What the hell is going on with the Rock version?
Catchiest Catch Phrase 2008

Pork Cutlet! Pork Cutlet will know.... the truuuuuth......

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm

jjreason wrote:Is Shazam! not a thing right now? What the hell is going on with the Rock version?

He was cast as Black Adam, Shazam’s nemesis, several years ago, and was gonna be in his own movie...eventually.

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Postby jjreason » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:35 am

Oh, ok. I actually read a positive review of current Shazam but dismissed it immediately - I haven't seen any DC since the whole Martha fiasco & I'm not about to start with that.
Catchiest Catch Phrase 2008

Pork Cutlet! Pork Cutlet will know.... the truuuuuth......

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Postby anarky » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:02 pm

Shazam is actually really good. They acknowledge there's a lot of silliness in the original concept and try to work him into a present-day setting, kind of like the original Superman. I need to watch them both again, but it could be the better of the two Captain Marvel films.

Without spoiling too much, there are three massively Golden Age elements I was hoping to see. Two came to pass. The third, well, there's no talking tiger in a suit (though there is some major symbolism involving a tiger that is probably a nod to Tawny).

I'm willing to bet neither of the "surprise twists" will be especially shocking to most of us here. (They're the two Golden Age bits I mentioned, and will come out of left field for the vast majority not familiar with the OG Captain mythos.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Postby Tom Foolery » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:45 pm

The Mr. Mind thing was pretty obvious since they lingered on the shot of him at the beginning of the film, and then again to show his jar was broken.
But how many people know who Mr. Mind is? His “Q” rating is pretty obscure even for comic nerds, let alone the general movie going public.

Tawny better show up in the sequel.

I also think I enjoyed this more than Capt Marvel.
It was more cheesy fun like Guardians or Ragnarok.

Return to “movies”